Re: Overblogging etc

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overblogging etc
Date: 2008-01-14 21:07:42
Lists: pgsql-www

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:20 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Magus Ha gander wrote:

>>> There's a difference between brief and one-liners. Brief is fine by me.
>>> To look at your blog as an example, the latest two posts are absolute
>>> fine - while brief. It's the first two one-liners that seem a bit
>>> unnecessary for syndication.
>> I assume Planet PostgreSQL is for blogging, not for writing technical
>> articles. If every blog posting is going to go through such scrutiny it
>> isn't worth it for me to be on Planet PostgreSQL. Feel free to remove
>> me.
>>
>> The bottom line is that every Planet PostgreSQL blog items takes the
>> same space on the Postgres web site as an event or training course.
>> This significantly raises the bar on what you want to have on Planet
>> PostgreSQL. Obviously a significant number of people are willing to
>> write article-length postings to reach that bar; I am not.
>
> If you had written as much on your blog as you had here, nobody would
> have said a thing. Nobody has asked for an article, but writing multiple
> one line blogs in succession is clearly different. That wouldn't be
> acceptable from Mr.Marketing of Company XYZ, so must include you also.

Can't we just say that it's noted, and ask Bruce to try to stay away
from the one-liners in his PostgreSQL bog, and just *give it a rest*.
*please*?

> Editorial guidelines apply in all other cases, including for example
> long debates about whether words have "s" or "z" in them. If anybody
> posted that they were going to refuse to write docs ever again as a
> result, they would be considered unreasonable.

Yes, they would be considered unreasonable. But I for one would
certainly not question them blogging about it if that's the decision
they made.

//Magnus