Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jean-Paul Argudo <jpargudo(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-14 20:47:19
Lists: pgeu-general
Ciao JPA,
> But I think you understood my point of view: be a member is a stronger
> act compared to just giving money.

I personally am a bit uncertain about allowing private companies to join
the association as members. In IT-PUG we had similar issues, and we
decided to clearly keep it an individual members non profit
organisation, and keep sponsorships/partnerships separated.

We did not want any company "direct" interference in the association -
although company members can join the association as individual. At
least, we still keep the "community" and "volunteering" senses of the
organisation.

I encourage you, if you have not done it yet, to look at our statute,
which has been translated in English:
http://www.itpug.org/pdf/statuto.en.pdf

It may be useful and there may be some interesting thoughts.

Personally I would go for:

1) individual members
2) subscription fee (we may even keep it the same all around Europe)
3) keep donations separate
4) keep sponsorships / parterships separate (with
proper/transparent/clear/open campaigns)

Thanks,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Open source programmer and data architect
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy