Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jean-Paul Argudo <jpargudo(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Cc: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-14 16:38:36
Lists: pgeu-general
Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> Hi all,

> Sponsorship has to be defined too.
>
> But I think you understood my point of view: be a member is a stronger
> act compared to just giving money.
>
> My 2 eurocents.

It depends on the purpose. I understand your points and don't actually
disagree with them for "other" communities. I don't like the idea of any
company having political power (which whether we like it or not is
important) in the PostgreSQL community.

Case in point, if PG EU comes to SPI and says, "Hey we need some money
for this conference." If PG EU has companies that are members, my
response will likely be, "why haven't you built proper relationships
with your members to insure that you don't need to come to SPI for money?"

However, if it is community members only, my response will likely be,
"How much?".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake