Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-14 10:30:56
Lists: pgeu-general
damien clochard a écrit :
> Le Sunday 13 January 2008 23:14:30 Gabriele Bartolini, vous avez écrit :
>
>> Ciao Dave,
>>
>> Dave Page ha scritto:
>>
>>> Yes!! That's almost exactly what I just wrote to Andreas :-)
>>>
>> ;)
>>

>>> If others are in agreement, can the rules be reworked to allow for this?
>>>
>> I don't know if it is worth writing it in the statute. I am asking the
>> French guys to confirm this. In Italy, you try and define the main goals
>> and the management issues in the statute. The more practical and
>> operative issues are left in an external document, which can be flexibly
>> (but democratically) changed.
>>

> Exactly.
>

>> This is because a change in the statute comes at a price: you need to
>> deposit again to the official authorities and pay taxes. Maybe if France
>> this is not the case, but I guess it is worth asking.
>>

> Changing the statutes will be a pain and it will cost money, no doubt about
> that.
>
> Here's some more information about how membership fee works in the pgfr
> association.  An active member can be an individual, an association or a
> company. The membership fee is different for each : individuals have to pay
> 20€, associations have to pay 200€ , companies have to pay 400€. These prices
> are not defined in the statutes.
>
> By the way, from my point of view money is not the key. I agree with what Dave
> said in the first place : for an Open-Source project having many contributors
> is far more important than having a big bank account. However money can be
> useful in some cases and self-funding is a mean of Independence.
>
> But maybe there's a third way that can get us out of this issue. Let's say
> that instead a setting a standard membership free, we propose a "free
> membership fee".  I mean : any member is free to pay what he wants or what
> you can give.

I was secretary of an association where the statues said something like
: 'is a member everybody already member of that, and for the
non-exigeable 1FF (was years BeforeEuro)'

--> As it is sometimes ago, I don't know if it is still possible(or
how), but for PGEU, it can be something like that:
'Is member everybody already member of a nationnal postgresql group as
defined by its objectives :  ..... (check the common objectives for
every pg group and the acceptance of this group in the the pgeu by the
executive comitee or..) and for the non-payable1Euro. People who are not
already  member of any pg group can become member for the non-payable 1
euro.'
Then every members of pgfr pgit... become by fact member of pgeu if *he*
want, others people can submit to become member and don't have to paid"

I haven't lot of time right now, please excuse my email which is like a
draft.

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données