Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps

From: August Zajonc <augustz(at)augustz(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Date: 2008-01-12 01:53:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Happy New Year, everybody.
>
> This proposal follows on from previous thinking about partitioning,
> where I've taken up Andrew Sullivan's suggestion to re-examine the
> current partitioning concept of using tables as partitions. So I've come
> up with an alternative concept to allow us to discuss the particular
> merits of each. ISTM that this new proposal has considerable potential.

I've been lurking and reading a huge number of threads on partitioning.
I see that postgresql is likely to give the user lots of knobs to define
partitions very flexibly, which is a good thing for things like sales
region reports etc.

All that to say, I hope some form of this very automatic tunning makes
it in. This automatic option would provide a benefit (not perfect but
improved) for a significant set of use cases. Even better, it is trivial
to setup, though I would want a knob for the underlying partition sizes,
1GB feels a bit too big for some situations.

Even expensive databases have found I think that there is a cost to
administrative complexity. In many cases someone may not be ready to go
down the declarative path, but be open to allowing the system take some
optimizing approaches. What I especially like is the ability to later
mark things read only. Perhaps a consultant who checks in on things
monthly might mark partitions in that form.

Good luck though with it all, great to see this.

- August