Re: binary logs: a location other than pg_xlog??

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: binary logs: a location other than pg_xlog??
Date: 2010-11-22 05:11:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net> writes:
> Sure - of course - performance, too! It just seems like such an obvious candidate for a configurable option; I'm a bit surprised it isn't in there... L

It *is* configurable: make pg_xlog a symlink. The reason we don't
handle this via postgresql.conf is that you could too easily shoot
yourself in the foot by breaking the link between a data directory
and its xlogs. There are no postgresql.conf entries that say
destroy_all_my_data_immediately_please = on
but that's more or less what an easily changeable pg_xlog pointer
would be.

In short: this is not something to change if you don't know what
you're doing. If you do, you should be able to handle it using
the mechanism provided.