Deleting LargeObjects as BLOBS

From: Jason Blumenkrantz <jason(dot)blumenkrantz(at)onlinebankingsolutions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Deleting LargeObjects as BLOBS
Date: 2008-01-10 15:22:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating using the LargeObject facility to store user
uploaded files of size up to 2GB directly in the database. However, I'm
currently using a JDBC intermediate driver on top of the Postgres JDBC
driver (Sequoia) to do data replication, so I'm tied to using the pure
JDBC specification and unable to use the LargeObjectManager directly.
I'm using getBlob() and setBlob() in order to store and retrieve my File
objects, which all works fine. However, when I delete the row from my
data table. the data isn't being deleted from the pg_largeobject table.
Should I be deleting from the pg_largeobject table myself after
retrieving the LOID from my own table, or is there a more proper way to
do this? I'm using server version 8.0.9 and driver version 8.0-320.

Thanks,
Jason Blumenkrantz