Re: 8.3.0 release schedule (Was:Re: [BUGS] BUG #3852: Could not create complex aggregate)

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Childs <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.0 release schedule (Was:Re: [BUGS] BUG #3852: Could not create complex aggregate)
Date: 2008-01-08 18:51:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>>
>>> There has been no annonucement whatsoever. Our web site stll claims
>>> beta4
>>> is the current version. I was under the impression that this tarball,
>>> like
>>> all others, are considered preliminary until announced one way or
>>> another.
>>
>> Uh, no, that isn't the project policy. If we were to find some fatal
>> problem in RC1 at this point, we'd spin an RC2, precisely because RC1
>> has been up on the servers for a couple days now and confusion would
>> inevitably result if we tried to redefine what RC1 was.
>>
>> The lack of an announcement is not my bailiwick, but tarball-making
>> is. Once a tarball appears in the public FTP directories, it's
>> official, and there's no reason to discourage people from using it.
>
> Ok. That's not how I thought it was, and we have previously pulled
> releases that were available as tarballs and re-released them with the
> same version number. Sure, it was a while ago, but it has happened, and
> if I'm not completely mistaken, more than once.

yeah that is my recollection too ...

> Anyway. My apologies for the incorrect statement in that case, and just
> let me (or us, really) know when it's time to update the webpage.

yeah while several of us noticed that new RC1 tarballs went up it was
not immediatly clear to me that "we" can now announce RC1 on the website.
Confusion on our major release policy during the 8.2 release lead to the
following document on the wiki:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/MajorReleaseTimeline

if this page(which is only a shell but we could use that as an
opportunity to improve it) has still any relevance - where exactly on
that timeline are we now ?

Stefan