Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Date: 2008-01-08 04:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> I also don't understand how this proposal deals with the more common use case
> of unloading and loading data. Normally in partitioned tables we build the
> data in a side table until the data is all correct then load it as a
> partition. If you treat it as a lower-level object then I don't see that
> working. The layout of the new table won't often match the layout of the
> target partitioned table.

+1

In addition, a similar use case is archival of "old" partitions as they
are not longer (commonly) accessed - perhaps to a different tablespace
(or even to backup media). I don't see how dynamic in-table partitioning
handles this, and I think it would highly desirable to be able to do
these things!

best wishes

Mark