Re: many to one of many modeling question

From: Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>
To: Postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Caktus Team <team(at)caktusgroup(dot)com>
Subject: Re: many to one of many modeling question
Date: 2008-01-07 19:32:26
Lists: pgsql-general

At 2:09p -0500 on 07 Jan 2008, brian wrote:
> Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> Is there a clever/clean way of having the comments foreign key into
>> the multiple tables?
>
> If, by object, you mean that you have several tables, each row of which
> should be associated with one or more comments, the best way would be to
> create join tables for each of those tables:

:-( Yeah this is one method. I was hoping for something cleaner though.
Something along the lines of

CREATE TABLE o_1 ( id SERIAL ... );
CREATE TABLE o_2 ( id SERIAL ... );
CREATE TABLE o_3 ( id SERIAL ... );
CREATE TABLE comments (
id SERIAL,
obj_id INTEGER ...
FOREIGN KEY (obj_id) REFERENCES ONE OF o_1(id), o_2(id), o_3(id)
);

This obviously won't syntactically work, but you perhaps get the drift ...

> Out of curiosity, is this for a CakePHP app?

Nope. This is for a customers private project. Sorry! :-)

Kevin