Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory

From: Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory
Date: 2008-01-07 15:42:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

The system we are building is intended to be utilized in a number of
different applications, so the testing we are doing is primarily
directed at stressing the system by running it through its paces and
uncovering any weaknesses. I prefer to find as many problems as possible
now, rather than in production. ;-)

For the current application set I'm testing, I expect we won't need to
do much VACUUMing, as it will be a fairly static dataset only used for
querying (once all the data is loaded). I know that we will be running
some databases with some pretty rapid throughput (100 GB/day), but if
VACUUM will do (as I expect), then we'll probably just stick to that. I
don't have time to do any testing on that until next month, though.

I do find it odd, however, that pgsql recommends using a VACUUM FULL (as
a result of running the VACUUM). Especially if, as it seems, VACUUM FULL
doesn't work for tables beyond a certain size. Assuming we have not set
up something completely wrongly, this seems like a bug.

If this is the wrong mailing list to be posting this, then please let me
know.

Regards,

Michael Akinde
Database Architect, Met.no

Usama Dar wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 2:40 PM, Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no
> <mailto:michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>> wrote:
>
> As suggested, I tested a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE with 128MB shared_buffers
> and 512 MB reserved for maintenance_work_mem (on a 32 bit machine
> with 4
> GB RAM).
>

> My Apologies if my question seems redundant and something you have
> already discussed with list members, but why do you need to do a
> VACUUM FULL? have you not vacuumed for a while? or some special
> requirement which requires very aggressive space re-claim? Vacuum Full
> is also known to cause some index bloat at times as well. most systems
> i know run regular vacuums and had never required to run a vacuum full.
>

> --
> Usama Munir Dar http://www.linkedin.com/in/usamadar
> Consultant Architect
> Cell:+92 321 5020666
> Skype: usamadar

Attachment Content-Type Size
michael.akinde.vcf text/x-vcard 287 bytes