Re: compile errors in new PL/Pler

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compile errors in new PL/Pler
Date: 2004-07-02 17:07:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake said:

>> So we have three choices as I see it:
>> 1) revert the change
>> 2) require some minimally recent version of perl
>> 3) fix the issue in place
>>
>> Preferences?
>>
>> Joshua/Andrew -- do you want to take a shot at making this work on
>> perl 5.00503?
>
> I personally don't have any desire to make this work on a version of
> perl that the perl community itself suggests that you should upgrade.
>
> Perl 5.00503 is RedHat 6.2 genre... That is scary old.
>
> I believe even RedHat 7.3 came with Perl 5.6 and that is old as well.

I have my fingers crossed that the patch I sent in with an upgraded ppport.h
(which is supposed to handle these issues) will fix the matter. It was
simply generated with this command:

perl -MDevel::PPPort -e 'Devel::PPPort::WriteFile();'

I would like to support as wide a user base as is reasonably possible. If
this doesn't work we could restrict support to some version, but that would
be a fallback. Certainly, we should not let it get to the stage of
compile/link errors.

cheers

andrew