Fresh copy of a PG DB ?

From: Pascal Heraud <heraud(at)tatm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fresh copy of a PG DB ?
Date: 2007-12-28 09:15:05
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello all,

I want to have a fresh copy of my postgres database on another server in
order to provide a simple mechanism of failover.
My current solution is to backup the database every hour and re-create
from scratch on the other side.

Currently the database is small and its not an issue but when the size
will be bigger, it can become an issue as you can guess :)

What are the other solution to provide this service in a incremental
manner ? Is there any "dupplication" tool or mechanism provided to allow
such a repplication ?

We looked at the way of using a replication solution but it seems very
coupled to the version of the database we use. We are using PGSQL 8.2.4
on a Gentoo Linux OS.

Thanks for any clue :)

Pascal

pgsql-admin by date