Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-23 06:29:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote:

> It doesn't solve the spoofing attack problem, but isn't Gurjeet's idea
> a good one in any case?

What makes it good? It solves no problems. It prevents the server from
coming up when it otherwise might still be able to.
> If the postmaster can't bind on one of the specified interfaces, then
> at the least, haven't you got got a serious configuration error the
> sysadmin would want to know about?  Having postmaster fail seems like
> a sensible response.

I don't think it really matters what it does in the grand scheme of
things, as it's not solving a real problem.
> "I can't start with the configuration you've given me, so I won't
> start at all" is fairly normal behaviour for a server process, no
None of my servers work this way. If possible, I try to make my servers
auto-recover at a later time while they are still up. It means an
administrator does not need to login to a machine at the data center to
solve the problem. "Self healing" is a term that is used to describe
approaches such as this.

Cheers,
mark

--