Re: TypeInfoCache

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TypeInfoCache
Date: 2007-12-20 12:39:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka schrieb:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Oliver Jowett wrote:
>> My main concern is that 'text' is a very common type to use in
>> PostgreSQL based designs, and that JDBC applications are more likely
>> to understand how to interpret a field that claims to be VARCHAR than
>> one that is LONGVARCHAR, given that LONGVARCHAR is a relatively
>> strange type and at best poorly defined.
> This is my concern as well, which is why I suggested that changing the
> precision value might be a better solution. Daniel, any opinion on
> that alternative?
Btw., you say that "JDBC applications" are more likely to understand how
to interpret a VARCHAR field, than an LONGVARCHAR field. Which? I don't
know any.And currently a JDBC application (Chrystal Reports) broke,
because we did't send a LONGVARCHAR! Every JDBC application should be
able to handle both, since JDBC defines both. And, most important, both
types can, according to JDBC spec, treated equally (same access
functions,etc.). So we shouldn't create a broken driver for
applications, that _might_ be broken. And if they are, a parameter
option should be a fair deal to give to the driver, to let bad behaving
applications work. We don't have to stick to bugs just for backwards
compatibility, don't we? We are not Microsoft, i think.

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski

--

|¯¯|¯¯| *IKOffice GmbH Daniel Migowski*
| | |/| Mail: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de <mailto:dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
| | // | Nordstr. 10 Tel.: +49 (441) 21 98 89 52
| | \\ | 26135 Oldenburg Fax.: +49 (441) 21 98 89 55
|__|__|\| http://www.ikoffice.de Mob.: +49 (176) 22 31 20 76

Geschäftsführer: Ingo Kuhlmann, Daniel Migowski
Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 201467
Steuernummer: 64/211/01864