Re: TypeInfoCache

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TypeInfoCache
Date: 2007-12-19 15:38:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Gregory Stark schrieb:
> "Daniel Migowski" <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de> writes:
>
>> Hello dear developers,
>>
>> I just updated the TypeInfoCache to return LONGVARCHAR for the PostgreSQL Type
>> text. Currently VARCHAR(0) is returned, which seems not correct in my eyes, and
>> confuses some major software packets like Chrystal Reports.
>>

> Why?
Because VARCHAR (in my understanding) has some limit, like 256 or 50 or
even 8192, whatever. LONGVARCHAR is unlimited as I understand and much
better matches what i understood what "text" is for. While looking at
the JDBC specification "JSR-000221 JDBC 4.0 Final Release Evaluation",
they didn't make a clear statement on this, but AFAIK varchar always
carries a length with it. "text" does not, so its a LONGVARCHAR. It
doesn't matters, because all functions to get the data are equally
defined for both datatypes (spec page 199, table B-6).

At all, the driver returns a length of -1 for the "text" type, since its
no varchar type, and software using the metadata might expect to get
something >0 for the length of a VARCHAR, like defined in the SQL spec
(don't know the page there, but the postgresql handbook says, varchar
without a parameter is a postgres extension).

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski
--

 |¯¯|¯¯|    *IKOffice GmbH             Daniel Migowski*
 |  |  |/|                            Mail: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de <mailto:dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
 |  | // |  Nordstr. 10               Tel.: +49 (441) 21 98 89 52
 |  | \\ |  26135 Oldenburg           Fax.: +49 (441) 21 98 89 55
 |__|__|\|  http://www.ikoffice.de    Mob.: +49 (176) 22 31 20 76

            Geschäftsführer: Ingo Kuhlmann, Daniel Migowski
            Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 201467
            Steuernummer: 64/211/01864