Re: autoconf trouble in the CVS HEAD

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autoconf trouble in the CVS HEAD
Date: 2007-12-19 01:46:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> I found a tiny fix for configure.in at Nov 26.
>>
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/configure.in.diff?r1=1.537;r2=1.538;f=h
>>
>> It seems to me this check enforces us to use autoconf 2.59, not the latest one.
>> Is there any reason for this change?
>>
>> For example, autoconf 2.61 is installed in the Fedora 7, 8 and rawhide,
>> so this chage will be troubled for many developers.
>>

> Who does this affect in practice? You don't need to run autoconf to
> build postgres, only to change it.

Indeed, you are correct.
It is not affect for _many_ developers. :)

However, I added a new configure option (--enable-selinux) in my branch,
so I got a trouble on running autoconf.

I want to know the reason why the version of autoconf is fixed, to avoid
this trouble with an appropriate way in my branch.

The CVS commit log does not give us enough information...
> Require a specific Autoconf version, instead of a lower bound only.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC