A new feature patch and a bug fix

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: A new feature patch and a bug fix
Date: 2007-12-17 15:44:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Let's begin with the bug fix. I've found that I can set the owner of an
object only from login role. pgAdmin doesn't allow me to set ownership
to a group. psql allows it, so I think this is a bug. The patch named
"dlgProperty.patch" fixes this issue.

I found this when I tried to add "reassign owned by" and "drop owned by"
functionalities to pgAdmin. I first thought I would add this with the
drop-user code but I prefer to make it available alone. So I used my
well known way : a new contextual menu (in fact two : "Reassign Owned
To..." and "Drop Owned"). The first one opens a wxSingleChoiceDialog
dialog for the user to choose a role from. The second one waits for a
confirmation and then fires the SQL statement. My problem is here : on a
user contextual menu, the only connection I can get is the maintenance
connection. So I will only be able to reassign or drop objects within
the maintenance database. I was wondering if there was a way to get a
handle to the last open connection ? or if there was another way ? for
example asking the user to choose the database to connect to and fire
the SQL statement ? or asking the user to select a database where he's
already connected to ?

Thanks.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
dlgProperty.patch text/x-patch 666 bytes
ownedby.patch text/x-patch 5.2 KB