Re: MySQL Con 2008

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MySQL Con 2008
Date: 2007-12-13 19:41:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert Treat wrote:
> ie. promoting things like use of information schema over show tables?

+1.

I think it'd be good for the whole database world if the F/OSS
communities encouraged use of standards wherever possible; since
that'd result in users at large using the standards and pushing
the commercial products to do so as well; reducing the friction
between the systems for everyone.

Spun in a "What can MySQL learn from Postgres", it seems to
me they should by default use their most standard mode;
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html
and use the standard mode for their examples and docs.

Spun in a "What can Postgres learn from MySQL", perhaps
we should err on the side of following the standard even
when it's insane (timestamp/timezone stuff) or inconvenient
(case folding stuff); and make our own types/modes for people
who want the non-standard (tho arguably better) modes.