db dump

From: Kristin Tufte <tufte(at)cecs(dot)pdx(dot)edu>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: db dump
Date: 2007-12-12 17:38:27
Lists: pdxpug

Hi All -

I'm sorry I can never make it to meetings - I've got a consistent Thurs
night conflict :( .

I do have a question. I help manage a 750GB postgres database. We need
to dump and restore to both move to new hardware and upgrade to a
non-ancient version of postgres. From what I read in the postgrest
documentation, performing the dump while the database is up and running
is fine (I know there will be data reconciliation issues - I can handle
those).

My question is - does anyone know a reason I shouldn't do the dump while
the database is up and running or see any gotchas I should watch out
for? Current postgres version is 7.4.13 (yes, yes, I know), the new
version will probably be 8.2

Thanks!!

Kristin