Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users
Date: 2007-12-12 12:12:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

>> Would a patch that did only UTF-8 encoding, as
>> suggested by Kris, handle the cases you need?
> No, it wouldn't. Nor am I keen on having my patch included in the main source
> tree.

I'm not sure what you want here then.

> On the other hand it would be very helpful if you didn't waste my time on
> sterile discussions over marginal things. Please read the other posts in this
> thread and discover what the truely important issues are.

I'm trying to work out exactly what the changes you care about are, but
this sort of response is not helping.

I'd point out that I've already been through the encoding issues in
authentication in some detail once before while doing the v3 protocol
rewrite, so I *do* know what I'm talking about here. I am not raising
these issues to obstruct your patch; I am raising them because the whole
authentication area is relatively fragile and you have not demonstrated
a good grasp of what is going on here. So I'd like to know exactly *why*
you have made some changes before they go near the main driver code. "I
changed this because I could" is not a good reason for changing code in
this area.

If you're not prepared to discuss the reasons behind your changes, well,
I'm not quite sure what you wanted out of posting your patch to the list.

Perhaps you could resend a patch with just the changes you care about
included, and we can discuss that?

-O