Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC driver patch for non-ASCII users
Date: 2007-12-08 20:54:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> On Saturday 08 December 2007, Oliver Jowett wrote:

>> Also, your patch appears to have a number of unnecessary changes in it
>> (e.g. why did you change the encoding used for the password salt, or the
>> results of UnixCrypt? and there's a spurious change to build.xml too..)
> There's nothing spurious in my patch.
> I haven't touched UnixCrypt, simply because there's nothing to be done about
> it (not as a simple patch).

Can you explain what this change does, then?

>                          String result = UnixCrypt.crypt(salt, password);
> -                        byte[] encodedResult = result.getBytes("US-ASCII");
> +                        byte[] encodedResult = result.getBytes(Encoding.AUTHENTICATION_PHASE_ENCODING);

AFAIK UnixCrypt.crypt() should only be returning ASCII anyway, right?

Same thing re. salt decoding, doesn't the server only ever send ASCII?

> And the change in build.xml is a correction, check the file before posting
> assumptions.

If you have fixes to build.xml that are not related to your encoding
changes, please post them as a separate patch with an explanation. If
you post a number of unrelated changes as a single patch, it makes it
much harder to selectively apply them. I have no comment on whether that
correction is necessary or not -- but it's unexplained and not encoding
related, so it shouldn't be there.

-O