Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Greg Cocks <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?
Date: 2007-11-29 17:51:30
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Greg Cocks schrieb:
> |Joshua D. Drake schrieb:

> In my experience, not huge, Access can get a little 'confused' when
> running queries if there is a FK that is not emulated in the
> relationship ERD (sic) in Access...

See ... the point is ... you are proposing development for an Access
feature that might use pgodbc but isn't odbc driver functionality at all.
So I may predict that the exitement in this discussion group here will
be somewhat limited.

> Yep, went through and drew them - but worried I missed some AND when I
> change my design I need to remember to propagate those changes 'down the
> line'... (interesting to see how Access handles those multiple links...)

It's really rather an Access topic.

Hint: At least Access 2000 keeps such simple links and even real fk
constraints in some cases even when the graph doesn't show them anymore.
It works nicely if you explicitely delete a constraint in the graph.
The irritation starts SOMETIMES when you drop or rename a connected
table or even just change a column name that is part of a constraint.
The next time you open the constraint-graph this constraint might have
disappeared, though you still get the integrity-errors as if the
constraint was still there.

Try to find a tool that migrates real DBs to Access. Well, usually it's
the other way round but maybe you are lucky.

> Shall I come over and unplug your telly? You can miss East Enders one
> weekend?
Never heared of "East Enders" but thanks anyway. ;)