Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Cocks <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?
Date: 2007-11-29 00:43:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Joshua D. Drake schrieb:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:24:54 -0700
> "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc
>> settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?
>>

> What do you mean automagically? I haven't used Access in about 7 years
> but I seem to recall that if you had the relationship built, access
> would pick it up via odbc (at least with other databases).

Maybe he refers to the graphical representation of relations between
tables within access MDBs.
Then the answer was no. There is no automatic way for all I know.

Access can mind fk-constraints only within one mdb file but one can
manually draw simple connections between linked in external tables
though those are just added sugar that will commodize query design a wee
bit.

AFAIK Access will use indexes within a postgresql db and is obviously
bound to fk-constraints within the backend, though it won't fetch those
constraints to use them for any magic like in the query builder.
The query builder would know of relations in an MDB and autoconnect
tables with such links as soon as they are dropped into the query graph.
Cute ... but well ... you know ;)

>> aybe lookups to emulate that built in MS Access natively to emulate
>> the FK relationships in the PostgreSQL linked tables?

Like mentioned above you may draw those links yourself.
I wouldn't rule out that it might be possible to peek through odbc and
analyse the backend to recreate the simple links within Access by VBA.
Well, pgAdmin lists the table constraints so why shouldn't Access see
them (somehow), too?
This might prove to be "interesting" for a winter weekend without
anything decent in the telly   ;)

Regards
Andreas