Re: Query only slow on first run

From: tmp <skrald(at)amossen(dot)dk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query only slow on first run
Date: 2007-11-28 01:08:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

> The query's spending nearly all its time in the scan of "posts", and
> I'm wondering why --- doesn't seem like it should take 6400msec to fetch
> 646 rows, unless perhaps the data is just horribly misordered relative
> to the index. Which may in fact be the case ...

Yes, they probably are. I use the random_number column in order to
receive a semi random sample subset from the large amount of rows. The
technique is described in [1]. This subset is later used for some
statistical investigation, but this is somewhat irrelevant here. In
order to receive the sample fast, I have made an index on the
random_number column.

> what exactly is that
> "random_number" column

A random float that is initialized when the row is created and never
modified afterwards. The physical row ordering will clearly not match
the random_number ordering. However, other queries uses a row ordering
by the primary key so I don't think it would make much sense to make the
index on random_number a clustering index just in order to speed up this
single query.

> and why are you desirous of ordering by it?

In order to simulate a random pick of K rows. See [1].

> For that matter, if it is what it sounds like, why is it sane to group
> by it? You'll probably always get groups of one row ...

For each random_number, another table (question_tags) holds zero or more
rows satisfying a number of constraints. I need to count(*) the number
of corresponding question_tag rows for each random_number.

We have primarily two tables of interest here: questions (~100k rows)
and posts (~400k rows). Each post refers to a question, but only the
"posts" rows for which the corresponding "question.status = 1" are
relevant. This reduces the number of relevant question rows to about
10k. Within the post rows corresponding to these 10k questions I would
like to pick a random sample of size K.

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-10/msg01240.php