Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-27 22:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>

>> There has been some discussion of making a project policy of dropping
>> support for old releases after five years. Should we consider formally
>> instituting that?
>>

> The community consensus I recall was three versions only. Anything beyond
> that would be up to the vendors.
>
> Mind you, I don't know what EDB guarentees but the Sun folks could end up
> patching everything back to 8.1 for the next 5 years depending on customer
> demand. So I think 5 years will be a reality for us for the conceivable
> future.

I don't know that we came up with a highly specific policy. My
recollection was something like "Support would be maintained for n years
(or possibly releases), after which we could discontinue support at any
time if bugs were unpatchable."

The burden of maintaining back releases isn't really all that great, ISTM.

I have no objection to cutting a release and declaring it final (with a
possible exception for security fixes).

cheers

andrew