Re: pgadmin log errors

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin log errors
Date: 2007-11-08 09:44:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

Michael Shapiro wrote:
> While I have your attention, I want to ask if you know why PgAdmin
> sometimes thinks that the server has dropped the connection.

Because the network stack tells libpq the connection is gone.

> It happens
> when I work from home (going through a cable modem -- Insight is the
> company). We don't see anything in the server logs about the server
> dropping a connection, so we suspect it is something in the network that
> is telling PgAdmin that the connection was dropped. It has happened when
> I am running a query that takes a long time (10 minutes or so), but I
> can't be sure if it is always during a slow query.
>
> Is this a known issue?

The server will never drop the connection (unless it's shutdown
ungracefully). It may be that your cable company (or you) have a router
that's dropping what it believes to be completely idle connections. I
believe (though I don't know the details of how to do it) that you can
setup the connection to run through an ssh tunnel which can be
configured to send periodic 'keep-alive' packets. That might help you.

Regards, Dave