Re: DatabaseMetaData and Transactions

From: Carl Olivier <carl(at)zero-one(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DatabaseMetaData and Transactions
Date: 2005-06-07 10:54:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Dave.

Thanks - should have thought of looking in those logs! So much for our
exception handling/reporting at that point.

Anyway - now resolved, with my thanks.

I do however have an additional query!

In 7.3 (using the 7.3 JDBC driver) we were able to do the following:

=== SNIP ===

if (value == null)
{
stmt.setString( index, null );
}

=== END ===

Some context here. We have a method that constructs a PreparedStatement
taking the sql (eg):

UPDATE table SET cola = ?, colb = ?, colc = ?

Or

INSERT INTO table (cola, colb, colc) VALUES (?, ?, ?)

And an Object[] of values (in the correct order) for the sql being used in
the PreparedStatement.

Now - the reason we do a setString(index, null) and not a setNull(index,
Types.SOME_TYPE) is because this method is generic and does not always KNOW
the datatypes for the columns.

Now, using PostgreSQL 8 (and the new JDBC driver for 8) we ARE still able to
do that when using a 7..3 db server, but get the following error when using
a version 8 PGSQL server:

ERROR: column "created_by" is of type integer but expression is of type
character varying

Where created_by is being passed a NULL value (using the setString(index,
null) method).

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/etc? Is there any way to get
around this? Or will we need to update our side to always pass in the
column meta data etc for use?

Thanks in advance,

Carl