Re: shared memory settings on MAC OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Maximilian Tyrtania <mty(at)fischerappelt(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared memory settings on MAC OS X
Date: 2007-10-29 13:40:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
Maximilian Tyrtania <mty(at)fischerappelt(dot)de> writes:
> Tom, I suspect you have Mac OS X Server installed, right? That's probably
> why your /etc/sysctl.conf file mentions that /etc/sysctl-macosxserver.conf
> file, while mine doesn't.

Uh, no, I'm looking at my laptop.  Curious that yours has no reference
to the other file.

> And frankly, to me it looks as if it means "if there is a /etc/sysctl.conf
> file, then read it and accept its settings. Then overwrite the sysctl
> settings with the default values, no matter what."

You're forgetting the point I made that the first complete set of shmem
settings wins.  If we could change the settings on the fly after that,
all this would be a whole lot easier, but the OSX kernel locks them down
somehow.

BTW, I dunno if you read awk at all, but that awk command effectively
says "print lines that contain = and do not contain #".  You didn't try
appending comments to the setting lines in your file did you?