Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

From: Ned Lilly <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
To: Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>
Cc: ioguix <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Postgres Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date: 2007-11-06 15:41:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 11/6/2007 3:28 AM Kevin Hunter wrote:

> - University-style ERP (Banner, PeopleSoft, ...)
>   * AFAIK no Postgres based version exists
>
> - Web/distributed Financial applications
>   * LedgerSMB is great, and we use it, but it needs a fair amount work
>     as well

I'd be horribly remiss if I didn't mention our own PostBooks project, a fully open source cousin of the OpenMFG ERP Suite - http://sf.net/projects/postbooks.  All the business logic is in pl/pgsql functions, triggers, and such, and it scales wonderfully on the back of the underlying Postgres database.  The primary client is a GUI built with Qt, but there have been a number of other front-ends built, including web portals and wireless devices.

Not only does it have more big-time ERP functionality than any other open source project (see www.xtuple.com/comparison for some functional detail), but it even has a cool Postgres-inspired name!  What more could you want in a Postgres killer app? ;-)

Cheers,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly