Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum
Date: 2007-10-31 15:02:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Roberts, Jon wrote:
> There are three problems with having a custom connection string for each
> step.  1) If I need to update the connection like change the password, I
> have to do it for each step.  2) Developers will see the password in clear
> text.

I consider those irrelevant because plastered all over the docs will be
something like "Don't use passwords here, put them in pgpass files
instead". Besides, #2 would be the case even if you defined the servers
in a separate table.

> 3) It is error prone because I might mistype the connection
> information for a step.

Copy 'n' paste is your friend :-). But yes, that could be an issue. Not
sure if it's worth the hassle of a whole extra UI for maintaining server
definitions though - I'd guess not to be honest.

Regards, Dave