Re: PostgreSQL 8.3, libpq and WHERE CURRENT OF

From: Sebastien FLAESCH <sf(at)4js(dot)com>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume ERGAND <ger(at)4js(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.3, libpq and WHERE CURRENT OF
Date: 2007-10-28 07:45:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just found this in the doc:

"WITH HOLD may not be specified when the query includes FOR UPDATE or FOR SHARE"

Here is what the Informix doc says about WITH HOLD + FOR UPDATE:

"It is possible to declare an update cursor with the WITH HOLD keywords,
but the only reason to do so is to break a long series of updates into
smaller transactions. You must fetch and update a particular row in the
same transaction."

However, I believe Informix keeps the locks set by WITH HOLD + FOR UPDATE
cursors, even if a transaction is terminated... locks are released when
the cursor is closed.

Seb