Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually
Date: 2007-10-25 20:28:54
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michael Paesold wrote:
>>> Shouldn't we rather support the regular usage pattern instead of the
>>> uncommon one? Users doing a lot of schema changes are the ones who
>>> should have to work around issues, not those using a DBMS sanely. No?
>
>> Unfortunately, doing lots of schema changes is a very common phenomenon.
>> It makes me uncomfortable too, but saying that those who do it have to
>> work around issues isn't acceptable IMNSHO - it's far too widely done.
>
> Well, there's going to be pain *somewhere* here, and we already know
> that users will find the current 8.3 behavior unacceptable.  I'd rather
> have autovacuum not make progress than have users turn it off because it
> gets in their way too much.  Which I think is exactly what will happen
> if we ship it with the current behavior.

exactly - 8.3 will be the first release with autovac enabled by default
(and concurrent autovacuuming) and we really need to make sure that
people wont get surprised by it in the way I (and others) did when
playing with Beta1.
So my vote would be on cancelling always except in the case of a
wraparound vacuum.

Stefan