Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Gary Chambers" <gwchamb(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore
Date: 2007-10-20 14:36:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Gary Chambers wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged online:
>>
>> Bug reference:      3682
>> Logged by:          Gary Chambers
>> Email address:      gwchamb(at)gmail(dot)com
>> PostgreSQL version: 8.3beta1
>> Operating system:   Mac OS X 10.4.10
>> Details:
>>
>> After dumping a database with pg_dump, then attempting to restore it, the
>> restore fails with "invalid command \" error reports.
>>
>> Each individual database is dumped by:
>> pg_dump --username=<owner> --file=<filename>
>
> We're going to need more details. How did you attempt to restore it? Can
> you post the dump file?

(Gary sent me the dump off-list.)

Ah, did you dump the database from an existing 8.2 installation? There's
clauses in there to create Postgres 8.2 contrib/tsearch2 types and
functions, which are no longer needed beacuse full-text search is now a
core feature. I removed them by hand, and after that it works.

We desperately need a migration guide for existing contrib/tsearch2
users... Andy and Tom just put together a script to help with that:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg00750.php

Can you try that to see if it works? I also had to modify the two CREATE
TABLE statements that contained a "public.tsvector" column; it's just
"tsvector" now since it's now a built-in type. I'm not good at perl, but
I believe the script doesn't do that yet. Note that you have to make a
dump with pg_dump -Fc or -Ft option, the one you posted doesn't work
with the script.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas