Re: how to improve the performance of creating index

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Yinan Li" <yinanli(at)cse(dot)ust(dot)hk>
Cc: "Postgresql Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to improve the performance of creating index
Date: 2007-10-19 14:50:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Please keep the list cc'd so that others can help.

Yinan Li wrote:
> What version of Postgres are you using?
> 8.2.4
> How much RAM does the box have?
> 2G
> How big is the table?
> 256M tuples, each tuple contains 2 integers.
> How long does the index build take?
> About 2 hours
> What kind of an I/O system do you have?
> A SATA disk (7200 rpm)

2 hours does sound like a very long time. With a table like that, we're
talking about ~7-9 GB worth of data if I did the math right.

You could try lowering shared_buffers to something like 50 MB while you
build the index, to leave more RAM available for OS caching.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas