Re: Is my database now too big?

From: Darren Reed <darrenr(at)fastmail(dot)net>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is my database now too big?
Date: 2007-10-17 12:18:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Darren Reed wrote:
> For better or worse, it seems to be behaving itself again for a while...
>
> There was, however, one change to my procedure and that was to
> drop the triggers/functions when restoring the data (using copy into).

Perhaps I spoke too soon...

# /usr/pkg/bin/pg_dumpall -O -U postgres -a > /data/dumpall
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "template1" failed:
FATAL: out of memory
DETAIL: Failed on request of size 20.
pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "template1", exiting

...for better or worse, I'm interfacing to postgresql using perl's DBI
interface.
Are there likely to be any issues from that? (Although I can't see how
a client
should be able to cause the server to become corrupt unless there's a bug in
the server.)

Darren