Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date: 2007-10-15 15:44:40
Lists: pgsql-www
Dave,

>> Also, looking back at the news just added today, is "EnterpriseDB Postgres"
>> considered a "postgresql family product" or a commercial one? Maybe a
>> guidance bullet on "downstream distributions"?
>
> It's certainly not commercial, but yes that does seem worth clarifying.

Actually, I'd argue that it's commercial.  That was what I had in mind
when I drafted the rules.  For one thing, like the tools SW makers, EDB
tends to bury us under press releases and need reigning in, in a way
that OSS projects generally don't.

> It's a bit subjective. I'd be happy with any level of content from a
> single session up, as long as it includes details so people don't spend
> serious money getting somewhere only to find just a single session.

Well, we need to draw some line for PostgreSQL content.  A 200-session
conference with one session which covers using PHP with PostgreSQL
alongside MySQL and DB2 really shouldn't go on the site.  Maybe we
should just re-write that as "significant PostgreSQL content" and leave
it up to WWW what "significant" is?

>> Training events - should we require that they include information about the
>> cost to attend?
>
> Sounds reasonable.

Sure.  Mind you, they usually do.   We haven't had a problem with
trainers not providing enough content, just posting too frequently.

BTW, have we fixed the training events so that they stop displaying once
they start?

--Josh