Re: Grid editor crash during row insert

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexander Kirpa <pgdoc81(at)bilteks(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Grid editor crash during row insert
Date: 2007-10-12 16:03:53
Lists: pgadmin-support

Alexander Kirpa wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2007, at 15:02, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Alexander Kirpa wrote:
>>> PGAdmin III 1.8 Beta 5
>>> Windows 2000
>>>
>>> Still stable crash during insert rows in table over grid editor. For
>>> crash need sequential insert 128-130 rows without closing grid
>>> editor.
>> I nearly gave myself RSI just testing this once! I can't see anything
>> obviously wrong, but it crashed suspiciously close to the default
>> cache size, so I've upped that to 500 in SVN. Please test the next
>> version when it's ready today or (more likely) tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave.
>
> In first: thank for many useful improvement from previous versions,
> but
> 0. Grid editor not crash PgAdmin (Version 1.8.0 RC1) after 250
> inserts - thank.

NP. Thanks for testing.

> 1. Need retrieve fresh copy of function/trigger function (especially
> trigger function, each have 2 local copy in PgAdmin DB presentation
> tree) from server before allow editing - for avoid too annoying
> message that you see at end editing about old/expired/nonfresh
> edition of (trigger) function plus chance edit expired function.

Yeah, unfortunately there's no infrastructure to link the two objects
together at the moment. This was discussed a month or so back.

> 2. 'Parameters' tab do not need for trigger function - eat only place

Agreed. It won't be going for 1.8 though.

> 3. Bottom field for 'Help', 'Apply', 'OK' and 'Cancel' button too
> high - IMHO normal size of space bottom 'Help' should equal to space
> at above this buttons.

There is actually a status bar below the buttons which is used in some
circumstances.

> 4. Something wrong with 'Limit bar' and 'Database bar' - see garbage
> under bar during movement left-right

I see a tiny drawing artifact. That's wxWidgets though I believe.

> 5. Window with already edited function body still no question close
> in case press 'ESC' :-(

We don't ever query the user if a dialogue is cancelled.

> 6. No way determine stripped (partially displayed) or not value in
> grid result table ('Output pane'->'Data Output') of 'Query' window,
> for instance try see field name 'i8' type 'bigint' with value
> '12345678901234567890'. Possible exist reason change 'autoadjust'
> field width to old behavior (max field value width) or use shift/ctrl
> sense double click for select behavior.

I don't understand the problem. 12345678901234567890 is out of range for
a bigint so should never be returned as one. Please provide a self
contained test case to illustrate the problem.

> 7. Wrong FK 'Properties...' presentation for 'ALTER TABLE
> ttttttttttt_ttttttt
> ADD CONSTRAINT fffffffffff_fffffff_ffffff_ffff FOREIGN KEY (oooooo,
> ssss)
> REFERENCES productword_advertiser (oooooo, ssss) MATCH SIMPLE
> ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION;' - Strange shift and
> strip last char in 'ssss' - displayed as 'sss'

Fixed in SVN.

Thanks, Dave.