Using nextval(seq) in more than one column

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Postgres Newbie <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using nextval(seq) in more than one column
Date: 2007-10-10 12:18:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am trying to design some tables that have keys that look like:

ASDF-####

where #### should be derived from a sequence. However, I would like the
primary key to be an integer for speed of indexing, etc. I don't see a
way using standard DDL followed by inserts to have the #### be the same
number as the integer primary key. Is that the case?

In other words, I would like the rows to look like:

1 ASDF-1 ....
2 ASDF-2 ....

Thanks,
Sean