Re: Preliminary patch for tsearch example dictionaries/parsers in contrib

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Sergey V(dot) Karpov" <karpov(at)sao(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Preliminary patch for tsearch example dictionaries/parsers in contrib
Date: 2007-10-09 15:41:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

Sergey V. Karpov wrote:
> Built-in regex engine seems to not support the one feature critical to
> the dict_regex operation - it is not able to report the "partial match"
> in a case when the matching fails solely due to premature end of input
> string (i.e. when matching may possibly succeed after adding some data
> to the string).
>
> If it is possible to achieve this behaviour with built-in engine, please
> point me to the right direction.

Adding new code at this stage of the process is bad enough. Adding new
code which adds a library dependency we have not previously had at this
stage of the process is quite unacceptable IMNSHO, and I will protest
very loudly about it. Quite apart from anything else it will almost
certainly break many buildfarm members.

Are we in beta or not? To me, beta means nothing but bug fixes go in,
period. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, no exceptions. And that should
definitely go for contrib as well. We need a bit of self-discipline
around here.

cheers

andrew