Approval process for news/events/training is broken

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date: 2007-10-08 18:11:25
Lists: pgsql-www

WWW folks,

I've just noticed again today that the way we approve news, events, and
training for the front page is seriously broken. Currently, if only
*one* person with approval rights thinks that something is OK, it gets
approved immediately.

This means that screw-ups like this morning happen repeatedly. Namely,
EDB posted a link-only announcement, which we've discussed before as not
being acceptable for PostgreSQL. I pinged Robert and asked him not to
approve it, and phoned EDB's PR agent, and she was giving me new content
... when someone else decided to approve it.

We need the news/events system to change in two ways:

1) There needs to be a way for admins to flag an item as "don't approve,
there's a problem" so that if one person knows of a reason to hold,
someone coming online later won't approve due to being clueless.

2) approvers should wait at least a couple of hours before approving things.

3) We need a written policy of what is acceptable for
news/events/training and what isn't.

I can do (3) but (1) and (2) are up to the other "slaves".

--Josh Berkus