Re: Estimating market size

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Estimating market size
Date: 2007-10-05 15:40:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

Andy Astor wrote:
> I am actually working on an exercise to generate some numbers on the
> Postgres market share and/or market size, both in the US and globally.

If Postgres had an optional "inform me of updates" feature that
would ping postgresql.org every night looking for updates, it
could help make such estimates.

If such a feature worked by writing a warning like
"you're running 8.1.0, consider upgrading to 8.1.10"
in the log file, I'd probably have it turned on on all
our development instances.

Yes, I know it won't count them all. And even if the feature
existed the most sane default is disabled by default so it
wouldn't even count many of them. But to see relative
use by country; or to see a very conservative lower bound
on how many postgresql's are running every day, it might
make for some interesting statistics.