Re: Still no support for XML-GUIs on PostgreSQL Docs?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Still no support for XML-GUIs on PostgreSQL Docs?
Date: 2004-08-29 23:50:59
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Aug 30, 2004, at 12:20 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I'd the impression, from a discussion last year, that we had upgraded
>> to DocBook2 and I would be able to use an XML editor to work on docs
>> and validate them.   But that didn't happen, I take it?
>
> There is no such thing as "DocBook2", and I don't recall any workable
> proposals to change the source to XML.

As I recall, there were two primary issues in moving from SGML DocBook
to XML DocBook.

Marked sections: SGML DocBook (which is currently used) supports
parameter entities to be used to include or exclude certain sections of
material depending on the desired output. Profiling in XML DocBook may
be able to accomplish the same task.

XML DocBook toolchain: making sure the tools to produce the
documentation in its myriad forms (e.g., html, manpages, PDF) works.

I hadn't heard of anyone attempting to convert the docs to XML DocBook
to see if it can be done, which is probably what needs to be done to
see if works.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com