Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field

From: Guillaume 'ioguix' de Rorthais <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field
Date: 2007-10-01 21:10:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Heikki Linnakangas a écrit :
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>> I am amused by the fact that we store the sequence name in the sequence
>>> itself though.
>> Yeah, it's a bit pointless.  One possible response to this gripe would
>> be to take the name out of the sequence itself.  However, that would
>> likely break client-side code for no very good reason.
Actually, there's at least one reason : client side code using this value is buggy when a sequence is renamed.
That's exactly how I found this issue: when coding "alter sequence" stuff in ppa which was using it...
Presently, I will not use this value anymore, but I think other dev / projects which are using it should be inform about
this issue.
However, I don't know if breaking client side code is the solution neither.

> Would it be possible to create a SELECT rule on the sequence that
> returns the sequence name from the catalog instead?

Well it looks a pretty good idea to me, but I'm not really aware about internal constraints to judge :S