Re: Latest ecpg patch broke MSVC build

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Latest ecpg patch broke MSVC build
Date: 2007-10-01 03:30:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> This morning's ecpg patch certainly seems to have been snake-bit.
> Although the Windows gcc buildfarm members seem happy, the MSVC ones
> are all failing with
>
> Linking...
>            Creating library Release\libecpg\libecpg.lib and object Release\libecpg\libecpg.exp
>         libecpg.exp : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol DllMain(at)12
>         .\Release\libecpg\libecpg.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
>
> I see that DllMain() got added to misc.c, so it's not obvious what's
> wrong here.  Some adjustment needed in the MSVC build scripts maybe?

It is building with thread.c but it should not be unless I am misreading
the Makefile. The makefile processing in Project.pm doesn't look nearly
powerful enough to handle this:

  # thread.c is needed only for non-WIN32 implementation of path.c
  ifneq ($(PORTNAME), win32)
  OBJS += thread.o
  endif

It will ignore the if and endif lines and process the OBJS line :-(

A quick fix is probably to put some whitespace in front of "OBJS",
although that seems horribly fragile.

cheers

andrew