Re: 3 tables join update

From: rihad <rihad(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 3 tables join update
Date: 2007-09-30 09:01:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- rihad <rihad(at)mail(dot)ru> wrote:
>> UPDATE Foo foo
>> SET foo.baz_id=baz.id
>> FROM Baz baz LEFT JOIN Bar bar ON (foo.bar_id=bar.id)
>> WHERE bar.id IS NULL;
>
> This query cannot work. Basiclly, you are trying to set the foo.baz_id = baz.id for records in
> foo that do not yet exist. Doing this is impossible.

Sorry the query failed victim of me trying to simplify it so I forgot
the foo=bar join. Here's a 2 table join suffering from the same problem:
I want the update only when bar.common_field IS NULL:

UPDATE Foo foo
SET ...
FROM LEFT JOIN Bar bar USING(common_field)
WHERE blah='blah' AND bar.common_field IS NULL;

ERROR: syntax error at or near "JOIN"

I know I'm misusing UPDATE ... FROM because I don't really want Bar's
values to go into Foo, but only using them for a conditional update
(atomically I hope).