OpenSSL Applink

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OpenSSL Applink
Date: 2007-09-28 14:27:44
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Windows the OpenSSL guys have included code with 0.9.8 and above to
allow OpenSSL to work correctly regardless of the MSVC runtime libraries
that have been used with the host application. This has become noticable
with the MSVC++ build in which any client apps that connect using libpq
with a client certificate will bail out with an error such as:

C:\pgsql-8.3>bin\psql -p 5433 postgres
OPENSSL_Uplink(00314010,05): no OPENSSL_Applink

The server doesn't seem to be affected, but the attached patch fixes the
problem for the client apps. Unfortunately it must be included in the
app itself, and not libpq.

I'm not sure what the OpenSSL guys were thinking here - apps like
pgAdmin which previously didn't use OpenSSL directly now need the source
code to build. I've also seen reports on the -odbc list that psqlODBC is
similarly affected, though how on earth we're meant to get the AppLink
code into apps such as MS Access or Crystal Reports is beyond me.

Regards, Dave

Attachment Content-Type Size
openssl-applink.patch text/x-diff 9.3 KB