Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Derek Rodner <derek(dot)rodner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-26 20:35:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Derek Rodner wrote:
>>> In presentations, articles, blogs, etc. Any publicly visible spot.
>> This is assuming the name of the project has changed. It hasn't. The
>> name of this project is PostgreSQL.
>
> But without such changes the alias is only in the FAQ and will not be
> widely used.

I am unsure of the importance of this point. The name of the project is
PostgreSQL, not Postgres. If the alias doesn't get used, who cares.

>> This whole thread stinks of... I couldn't get my way and change the name
>> outright so instead I will subvert my will through alternative means...
>
> Well, actually, I see it the opposite where you brow-beat folks until
> you think they will quit. (I am not a quitter, which I think you know.)
> And I certainly do think the name change will finally be made, so I
> don't feel like I have to subvert anything.

Well at least you are honest :) but consider that (I am not a quitter,
which I think you know.)

So you and I are going to be at this *a long* time.

> I thought it would not be a controversial change because I already
> stated I wanted to make the alias more visible and no one objected. Now
> I have a few objections and a lot of people who think it is a good idea.

If you review the thread it appears that the equation is similar to that
of the name change... e.g; no clear majority.

> Frankly, if the alias takes hold we might not need to make the full name
> change -- supressing this idea now might actually hasten the name
> change.

>> The community "just" accepted the FAQ change, and now you want to start
>> this?
>>
>> Let it lay.
>
> Again, why shut down the discussion?

Because.. silence is not approval the longer this thread goes on, the
more likely it will only be the very few participating. Likely the few
on core that participate and the few long time contributors such as myself.

Which means, it will never end, and continue to polarize external
community and people will just give up. That isn't good.

Brow beating is not good. It is negative and counter productive. You
won't win anything, but you certainly may cause a lot of antagonism (as
may I with my alternate view).

Note that this may be worth while in the future, but all things come in
time and I don't think this is the right time.

Joshua D. Drake

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL