Re: A bunch of minor issues

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jwa(at)wahlstedt(dot)fi>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: A bunch of minor issues
Date: 2007-09-26 16:43:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
> On 26.9.2007, at 14.26, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Finnish texts do tend to more longer than English. It's not a problem in
>> most places, but for example "Rename" in the favourites manager is
>> translated to "Nimeä uudelleen", which is quite a bit longer. If we just
>> made the space reserved for the button bigger, it would look quite silly
>> in English I think. But as it is, the button is partly underneath the
>> "Remove" button.
>
> That translation is a literal one. If something has a name already,
> "Nimeä" could be enough, it means then rename?!

I suppose. "Nimeä" means "name", as in "give name", which isn't quite
the same as "rename". Or "Vaihda nimi" ("Change name"). That might fit.

Alternatively, we could split the words "Nimeä uudelleen" to two lines.
That way the button expands downwards, which makes it bigger than the
other buttons and it looks a bit funny. But at least the buttons
wouldn't be on top of each other.

> This is a suggestion
> only, and the problem remains, some translations are bound to be
> longish, in the user interface controls that will be difficult.

Yeah :(.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas