Re: A bunch of minor issues

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A bunch of minor issues
Date: 2007-09-26 12:43:01
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> [Guillaume; I've left some of Heikki's suggestions to your discretion,
> please read on...]

Thanks :)

>> Attached is a patch to change a few string constructions to be more
>> localization-friendly. There's still a lot of troublesome constructs
>> like "Cannot drop system %s", where %s is replaced with "View",
>> "Sequence" etc. That doesn't work for many languages, including Finnish,
>> where the following word needs to be inflected differently depending on
>> the context. The patch also removes a bogus tooltip from a
>> "Help"-button. You might want to replace it with a proper tooltip
>> instead of removing it altogether.
>
> I'll leave that to Guillaume to apply as he prefers.

Yes, I know those. I didn't work on it before because I wanted to know
better pgAdmin's sources. That's why I mostly did minor adjustments for
this release. But this is something I want to work on for next release.

> [...]
>> For messages like "%d seconds", "%d rows", the plural forms of the
>> formatting functions/macros should be used, see
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Plural-forms.
>> Google suggests that wxWidgets has a wxPLURAL macro for plural forms,
>> that works like the _() macro that's used for normal strings.
>
> Guillaume - is this something you want to do now, or defer for the next
> release? Obviously it would break strings and I'd *really* like to go RC
> in the next week or so!

Defer please. We already did many changes to strings in beta period, and
that's not good. I'm waiting RC for another call to translators, so they
can finish their work. I'll work on the plural forms for next release.

>> There's some strings in calls to wxLogDebug, like "OnTargetComplete()
>> called", that are wrapped in _() for translation. Aren't those just for
>> developers, and therefore a waste of time to translate?
>
> Yep. Removed.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, thanks, Heikki.

Regards.